A good friend of mine is in recovery from alcoholism. It’s interesting to me how well he and I connect on the matter of healing. There are simply so many parallels between recovery from addiction and recovery from mental illness based in gut dysbiosis, among them:
- symptoms (depression, anxiety, social phobia, etc)
- sensitivity to what is ingested
- issues appearing to be psychological, etc
- need to commit 100% to abstinence from a triggering substance
- positive response to dense nutrition
I do suspect addiction to be largely based in gut dysbiosis. Issues often blamed for triggering addiction include low self esteem, poor sense of self worth, anxiety, depression, lack of self control, etc, but after many years of therapy, which was indeed helpful, the variable that actually removed these from my own life was GAPS. It may not be a coincidence that my friend and I connect so well on journeys that appear on the surface to be different from each other. Indeed, I suspect they are not.